Saturday, September 18, 2010

work, work?, work!

Genesis 16:9 The angel of the LORD said to her, "Return to your mistress and submit to her."

So, I have this great new job. Very rewarding, both emotionally and financially. I feel very blessed to have gotten this job in this economy. But when my employers found out I am pregnant, their attitude completely changed. They are not happy with me.

One boss has told me (several times) that she simply doesn't believe anyone can work and take care of two small children. I've tried explaining that millions of moms do this every day, that many of her own clients do this, and she just seems to think it's hogwash. The other boss is concerned about maternity leave. I've told her what I think will work and based my expectations entirely on what other people have previously done. None of those options were acceptable.

Apparently, the only acceptable option is full time, shortly after birth. I'm to get back with them next week with a number of how many weeks I want. Without a transition period of part time, I have no idea how many weeks I want. I can't imagine going back full time at 6 weeks, but I'll go plum crazy staying home for 12. I could randomly pick something in the middle, but I'm much less optimistic about no-work-then-full-time going well. Originally I was hoping I could stay home until my husband finished school for the year, then work part time until he went back in the fall. Then, when I went full time and the kiddo started day care, he or she would be about 6 months old. I really thought that seemed reasonable.

There is talk of a new option. One that is being investigated and may really help me out. But I need to give them numbers. I need to decide exactly what I want. And I have no idea how to do that.

I keep thinking the above verse should be telling me something. It really, really jumped out today. The simplest interpretation would be that I am to accept what they offer and keep working the job I've been placed in. God is rarely that straightforward. And I am no slave, neither are my bosses any sort of mistresses. Maybe I just need to suck it up and give them some numbers? Eek!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com